Yellow is definitely not that mellow

Friday, February 15, 2013



As a designer, my involvement with colors is on a very professional level. I know their etymology, definitions and history and I use them to enhance and dramatize my work.  But as a woman, mother and a homemaker, colors become very personal…a way of expressing myself, in the form of home décor, clothing and even in my small, humble garden. And sometimes it makes me wonder… "if I were to be a color, which one would I choose?"

I took a good look at all these aspects of my life and noticed a common factor…Yellow!!! I feel that the simplest method to enhance your life is to add a little yellow to your surroundings. It is truly a magical color, inviting you to be optimistic and take positive action. Be it the one single yellow cushion cover in the living room, the Marigold flowers in my garden, my favorite sari or even my favorite wall in the house…It’s everywhere around me!

Oh my!! Even I didn’t realize I was such a sunny personality. :P. But I have to admit that I crave yellow. Like a sunflower needs sunshine. Yellow is my ‘happy place’!!

Like Vincent Van Gogh said,  How wonderful yellow is. It stands for the sun.” So true Vincent…I see his ‘Sunflowers’ and I can feel the warmth of the golden sunrays in that field full of yellow blooms. On my face and in my soul…and I feel cheery and warm.

Yellow bursts of happiness and joy. In India, my motherland, colors are an integral part of our everyday life. It plays a vital role in every corner of our multi dimensional country. In the form of Haldi (Turmeric) it is used to increase the metabolism. Diwali, the Festival of Lights, is full of rows of golden yellow lights twinkle atop all houses, symbolizing radiance and good cheer.
The spiritual quality of colors can never be ignored in our country. During festivals like Holi, colors are everywhere, and people get drenched from head to toe!! Colors come in the form of Diwali’s Rangolis, an orange Puja tilak and a bride’s red sindoor… There are cities that are associated with a particular color, like Jaipur (pink) and Udaipur (blue). In India, colors not just add to our lives they have become a part of us. 


So do you have a story that you would like to share about colors? Any experience specifically painting a room/house etc. in a particular color that has impacted your lives in a positive way? When has color had a powerful impact on your life?

Tell me about your relationship with a particular color. What 3 words do you associate with that color? What details from your life, your culture and your city would you like to show, and how has color played a part?
This could be a very exciting opportunity to tell your story!!!

Dulux is seeking out stories about color for a new series of films they are producing that will live online. The films will focus on how color ‘renews’ people’s lives. Submit your stories in words, imagery and video formats (you can send links to their YouTube or Vimeo uploads) and send them to renewalstories@redant.com, alongside your contact details (including address). 
A team of judges will review all of the entries and the most compelling stories will then be filmed by some leading filmmakers, and edited into a short documentary about how color has renewed your lives. 

SO give it a shot, I wanna hear all about that favorite color!!!






{ Links to the above used images can be found at :: things that make you go hmmm :: }


..................................................................................................................................
You can view my work and all the latest updates at
:: Pinterest :: Facebook :: Twitter
.................................................................................................................................. 

You Might Also Like

0 reactions

Follow