revisiting the roots on Diwali...

Thursday, November 15, 2012

What is tradition? 
To me, it means everything that I would like to pass on to my little daughter. Tradition means all those big and small things, which I hope my daughter will remember me for. 
It's simply a way of creating beautiful memories, which I truly hope she will treasure warmheartedly.
But, what does it take to keep these values alive? Rigid rituals, step-by-step religious “rule books” or just following your heart?
Traditions and values can’t remain unaffected by the changing times. They have to be molded and applied practically. They have to be applied in a manner that brings a positive effect to the concerned human lives, their souls and the environment.
I want my little one to be involved in all such positive traditional values. Be it making rangoli, lighting diyas and doing the aarti on Diwali, participating in the puja in navratras or visiting a gurudwara, a church or a masjid
I just want her to do all of this willingly and most importantly at a spiritual level, not merely because a certain religion asks her to do so.
Tradition might become a burden when it is imposed and she might not understand it.
But when it comes from the heart, it becomes a prayer, not a ritual or routine.
When you keep it simple, it becomes a part of life.


These are some glimpses of our home on Diwali, which my lil one very excitedly helped me and my husband in decorating. Some of the pictures are a bit blurry, as they were taken by a super-excited-bangle-clad-six-year-old girl. You are getting a chance to see Diwali through her eyes… :)

So, how do you celebrate festivals?






..................................................................................................................................
You can view my work and all the latest updates at
:: Pinterest :: Facebook :: Twitter
.................................................................................................................................. 

You Might Also Like

0 reactions

Follow