things that make you go hmmm...

Wednesday, June 13, 2012


"Nature does not know the concept of waste; the only species capable of making something no one desires is the human species."
- Gunter Pauli
Zero Emissions Research and Initiatives


Every day, people everywhere roll out heaps of plastic and non-biodegradable waste, which threatens to ruin our living spaces. At one point in time people all over the world simply threw their “waste” onto the ground where it was reabsorbed into the earth. The concept of “waste” as we know it today was a completely alien idea. Current outlooks around waste and our general lack of awareness about the amount and kinds of trash we produce shows the desperate requirement of an new wave of thinking towards this. Upcycling, the very creative method of transforming our waste into goods of more significance, is an attitude that changes the way we think about waste. Upcycling is not just a solution to a problem, but a new method of thinking about and working with an asset (formerly known as garbage), which is already present in abundance in our communities.

I hope the practice of upcycling will become a natural and regular way of everyday living…it should become just what we do. Upcycling isn’t some harebrained idea; instead, it is simply a better way to live on this small planet.

And like i said earlier…to me, creativity isn’t something that is restricted to graphic designing. I love inventing challenges for myself every single day. Colors give me inspiration…the brighter the better. I love reusing, upcycling and basically turning ordinary objects into innovative, gorgeous pieces.
Beginning of summer brings in various kinds of drinks in the house. Which in turn means different shapes and sizes of bottles accumulating in the store.
I couldn’t help but visualise them getting transformed into something more stunning, something more useful. At the same time, have a purpose beyond just storing auqa. (I use empty colorful Absolut Vodka bottles in my refrigerator for storing drinking water!)
I searched and found some simple methods of making more purposeful products out of these bottles.
My first option needed some bright colored enamel paint. 
Here below are some of the results in my experiments with Bottle ART.
My next idea with the wine bottles was to cover them up with black chalkboard paint. The idea was to make a set of bottles for decor, and be able to change the drawings on them according to my mood swings :) .
I used colorful chalks from my daughter’s collections to scribble a few designs on these. 

Me like :). You like?
But this project hasn’t ended. I have something more ingenious in mind for these babies…watch this space for the next chapter.


..................................................................................................................................
You can view my work and all the latest updates at
:: Pinterest :: Facebook :: Twitter
..................................................................................................................................

You Might Also Like

5 reactions

  1. Hi - these look lovely. please share with me the step by step process - i would like to replicate this in my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shillu Thanks for the appreciation. Just inbox me at my id, molly@design5.biz, and i will reply with the instructions :) which are pretty easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely! Jumped here from facebook for the instructions: but will mail you! Where do you buy your supplies from? I mean chalkboard paint and enamel paint etc.
    Love your blog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Pia Thank you! Inbox me with all your queries and i will be glad to answer to the best of my knowledge

    molly@design5.biz

    ReplyDelete

Follow